5.8.08

I'm baaaaack!!

Wow, I've been gone a long time. Summer break has been lovely. I've been keeping myself busy with the usual summer vacation stuff: family trips, minor home repairs, catching up on non-mandatory reading. But I realized I never posted an end-of-semester message. Sorry about that. I meant to, but the days just slipped by. I have less than a month to go before classes start again, and I'll be back in full force, I'm sure, with lots of hilarity, insanity, and the further exploits of Jane and John Godley. I hope they haven't graduated. I think they were second year MDivs which means they'll still have one more year. Which also means I'll be graduating with them, and I'll get a good look at their families. Yes, of course I will share that with you! If they have graduated, this blog will truly suck. I'll need to find some replacements quickly. Somehow I don't think that will be a problem, though...

Last week, I even endured an hour of a Presbyterian minister yelling at me (well, not just me) for the sake of my nephew's baptism. Poor boy. He did well, though. He has this downright mean look he can pull, and he loves to do it, but he did fine with the water. I was amazed. I thought he would scream in a Linda Blair-like fit as if it were burning him or something. But he laughed. And then he wanted to splash in the baptismal font. Go figure. What was really funny was watching my in-laws (who are Catholic) endure the Presbyterian service. Especially my husband's grandmother, who was raised in Poland long before Vatican II and probably still believes, as she was taught as a little girl, that even entering a Protestant church guarantees a direct flight to Hell. I was sitting in the pew behind her and could feel the tension radiating off her. It was all I could do to keep a straight face.

Well, I guess that's all the news that's fit to print for now. I'm just gearing up for the semester, and getting ready for my book-buying spree. I don't even have one inch to spare on any bookshelf in this house. And I have no room in this house for another bookcase. I need to do some reshuffling. I think some fiction and other non-essentials will have to be exiled to the storage unit for the duration. Yes, it's climate controlled. I will not commit bibliocide. I promise. I think I'll go back-to-school shopping today. I need some new clothes. All my stuff from last year is soooo....well, last year. I don't want to look like a dork. All the other girls will laugh at me! Ugh...there is not enough money in the world to convince me to go back to a time and a place (like high school) where any of that shit would matter. I'm really liking my 30's. It's a good time to be a woman. Definitely.